Raymond Longoria Insurance Click to Call
Raymond Longoria Insurance

Home Automobile Homeowners Life Business Health

slip of paper with Workers Compensation typed on itWorkplace violence can occur anywhere. Most business owners believe they create a safe environment for their workers. Yet, there are times when acts of violence can occur. If someone hurts your employees, are you responsible for their losses? In some situations, the answer is yes. Workers' compensation insurance might help cover some of these losses. Here's what you need to know.

What Is Workplace Violence?

According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, workplace violence is any type of threat or act of violence, which may include intimidation and harassment. It includes physical violence as well. Any type of disruptive behavior like this on the worksite might qualify as a type of workplace violence.

Many times, it's easy to see incidents as larger-scale incidents, such as physical fights and workplace shootings. However, they can also be much smaller incidents. This may include violence that occurs as a result of criminal activity or acts by family members who threaten coworkers.

Can You Face a Lawsuit for These Losses?

Whether an incident falls under workers' compensation insurance depends on state laws and the actual cause of the incident. If a person proves he or she suffered an assault on the job, that does not automatically mean he or she can file a claim. The burden of proof usually lies in the individual filing the claim. That individual usually must prove the company knew of the potential for the risk and failed to address it.

One key incident that may limit your liability as an employer occurs when the act is personal. Imagine a family member coming into the place of business to threaten a worker. In this situation, the business might not be responsible for any losses.

What Can Workers' Compensation Insurance Do to Help?

In situations where violence occurs, and your business has some level of responsibility, workers' compensation insurance might be able to help. It may provide compensation for the losses or injuries a person suffers. It may pay for lost time at work as well. In some cases, it can help cover pain and suffering claims. Other policies even offer death benefits. However, it usually becomes necessary for an individual to prove his or her losses relate to the incident at work to receive compensation.

Are you unsure if your insurance covers the losses? Don't worry, Raymond Longoria Insurance agent will can help you determine what your next step is. Call us today at 888-296-0345

Also Read: Workers' Comp Claims in Restaurants and How to Prevent Them

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2020
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012

View Mobile Version

Footer Links Home Page About Us Carriers Home Page Quote News Contact Us

Raymond Longoria Insurance
2025 N Conway Ave
Mission, TX 78572
Phone: (956) 581-1034
Toll-Free: (888) 296-0345